Payne & Son was founded in 1790 and after eight generations is still run by members of the same family.
John Payne opened a silversmiths and jewellers in Wallingford in 1790, with other shops opening in Abingdon 1825, Banbury 1842 and Tunbridge Wells 1870, all run by various members of the Payne family. George Septimus Payne inherited the Abingdon shop in 1874, but 14 years later, he decided to move to Oxford. Payne & Son (Goldsmiths), Oxford, started trading in January 1889 and have been at 131 High Street ever since.
So now, after 224 years, we have the 7th and 8th generations of Payne's in this family business in Oxford.
Payne & Son specialises in 20th century and contemporary silver, as well as modern jewellery, and is a major stockist of Georg Jensen.